Working on the second edition of Java Tutorial
In 2011 Wiley (Wrox) published my book “Java Programming. 24-Hour Trainer“. To be honest, I don’t like the title because it misleads people as if this book promises that the reader can learn Java within 24 hours. But creators of this series (many titles were published under this umbrella) meant to say that this book was like your personal instructor; 24 hours a day. Whatever. It’s not my call.
But earlier this year I got a call from the publisher stating that they’re happy with the book sale numbers and want me to update the book and release the second edition reflecting the latest changes in the Java Language.
I agreed because with the latest release Java became more interested than ever. The magnitude of changes to the Java 8 language and APIs can be compared with Java 5 that was released back in 2004. It’s exciting to program in Java again.
In the second edition I’m replacing Java applets chapters with JavaFX . The Java EE part will reflect the latest Java EE edition. Of course, I’m adding the coverage of lambdas and Stream API. Re-writing and simplifying all examples and testing them in the freshly released Eclipse Luna IDE. GlassFish 4 is my server of choice for all Java EE 7 examples.
Those of you who used the first edition of my book or watched my Intro To Java video lessons may start using the fresh version of code examples, which I started publishing on Github. So far I’ve I’ve uploaded examples for lessons 1-10 and 13-17. If you haven’t worked with git, watch this video to get up to speed. I’d really appreciate your feedback on these code samples. The Table of Contents of the second edition is shown below.
1. Introducing Java
2. Integrated Development Environment
3. Object-Oriented Programming with Java
4. Class Methods and Constructors
5. Java Syntax: Bits and Pieces
6. Packages, Interfaces, and Encapsulation
7. Programming with Abstract Classes and Interfaces
8. GUI Basics with Swing
9. Event Handling in Swing GUI
10. Error Handling
11. GUI Basics with JavaFX
12. Developing a game with JavaFX
15. Lambda Expressions and Functional Programming
16. Working with I/O Streams
18. Network Programming Basics
19. Introduction to Concurrency
20. The Stream API
21. Working with Databases Using JDBC
22. Rendering Table Data to GUI
23. Annotations and Reflection
24. Remote Method Invocation
25. Java EE 7 Overview
26. Programming with Servlets
27. JavaServer Pages
28. Web Applications with WebSockets
29. Java Messaging Service
30. Java Naming and Directory Interface
31. Enterprise JavaBeans
32. Java Persistence API
33. RESTful Web Services With JAX-RS
34. Introduction to Spring MVC Framework
35. Introduction to Spring Security
36.Build Automation with Gradle
37. Java Technical Interviews