When our company needs a graphics/Web designer, we hire a contractor. This time we needed a new version of our company “s brochure and gave this job to the a person we “ve dealt before from New York City. The job was due today, but three days ago, after several e-mail requests and voice mails, he sent us a response stating that he won “t meet the deadline cause he “s spending a couple of days with his family.
I immediately said to my colleague who was running this mini project to fire this guy and never use his services in the future. My colleague though that this would be a too tough decision. He said something like this, “You know these creative people hellip;.They are tattooed and pierced. They are, well creative. We should treat them differently. rdquo; I did not buy this. I understand that anything can happened in life, deadlines are set to be postponed, but there should be valid reasons for this, and not just, “Nay hellip;.I “d rather spend a couple of days with my family rdquo;.
We fired the guy and found someone else, who did a good job with our brochure in one day.
Also, any business is driven by supply and demand. In the past, I was wondering, why policemen here in New York works for such modest salaries ($40-50K a year)? Aren “t they risking their lives daily and have to deal with the lowest layers of our society? Then I realized, that the answer was simple. There are plenty of people who are willing to do this job for this money, who can “t /want do any other job to earn this salary and benefits. Supply and demand.
On the same note, about two hundred thousand of New Yorkers put “Artist rdquo; in the field “Occupation rdquo; on their tax return forms. This means that there “s plenty of people with design skills here, and they should behave if they are interested in getting my business, are they?
As a matter of fact, such graphic designer can live anywhere in the world as long as s/he agrees to work in the following hostile environment :
1. The same day answering my emails is a must, otherwise you are fired.
2. The same day answering my voice mails is a must, otherwise you are fired.
3. You can be tattooed, have ear , nose, or nipple rings as long as you know how to design and obeys the rules 1 and 2.
4. Your age does not matter (people older than 80 have to provide a physician “s note confirming that this person does not have Alzheimer, which would complicate compliance with rules 1 and 2.
5. You can not be a drug addict, cause it would complicate compliance with rules 1 and 2.
6. You can be gay, lesbian, or shemale as long as you know how to design and obey the rules 1 and 2.
7. Your race or caste is not important as long as you know how to design and obey the rules 1 and 2.
8. You can work any hours you like as long as you know how to design and obey the rules 1 and 2.
Am I asking for too much?
In the world of rich Internet applications, there is a trend to bring together developers and designers. It won “t be easy, let me tell you.