My son Dave showed me the episode from the South Park, season 14, titled “You have 0 friends“. This great episode resonates with my understanding of the virtual world, hence this blog.
1. People who are using Facebook daily are doomed to lose their social skills. I mean, seriously.
2. People enjoying social networks are either already sick or getting there. On the surface it looks like social networks help lonely people to find someone to talk to. But people are more and more immersing into a virtual world and getting back to reality may become problematic, at least to some of them.
3. Young generation has troubles in communicating with people in the real world because of social networks. Yes, I’m an old fart, and you don’t need to remind me about it, but I’m actually meeting my friends face-to-face.
4. To me, the best momemt of this South Park episode is at about 8’10”. But what if he wouldn’t get a response? This would be a disaster (in a real world). Do you know what should you do after watching this episode? Watch it again. Recognized yourself? Sorry, but you’re on the road to join the world of people’s profiles… Good luck in getting back to the reality.
5. I’m not a social networks nazi. I have accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Twitter is for business. Facebook – I just don’t know how to cancel it. LinkedIn is for business.
6. Don’t trust me? Read this.
7. When I see that so-and-so wants to connect with me on LinkedIn I just ignore it unless I know this person.
8. There is another very smart movie about the World War III (Facebook user may need to watch it twice to get it).
9. Enjoy this hashtag video with Justin Timberlake.
Close your Facebook account. Get real. Do you know how many friends you need in a real life? Just one.